For Novice, Peewee, Bantam & Midget evaluations in 2019, we will require all players to have a black and a white jersey. We will offer a reversible black/white pinnie at registration for those that want to purchase one.
This letter is intended to offer insight into the evaluation process and highlight some of the expectations for both players and parents who are participating in the Rocky View Lacrosse Association (RVLA) Evaluation Process.
- The Sr. B Knights organization are our chosen evaluators and will provide experience and knowledgable players to evaluate our players and goal tenders for each tier within Midget, Bantam, Pee Wee and Novice.
- RVLA will bring in referees for every evaluation scrimmage.
- Each evaluator will be using a tablet and an app called "Team Genius" that will include only the player’s jersey color and number. Upon completion of the evaluation, the app will collect all the data and will be used by the Evaluation Director and Division Director. This information remains controlled by the Evaluations and Division Director and will not be published to the RVLA board of Directors to ensure there is no biased influences.
- Based on the evaluation scores and evaluator comments, the individual teams will be developed. Considerations will be made to ensure the team is balanced based on the hand positioning (Right Handed vs. Left Handed) of the player and over all needs of the team.
- Novice will evaluate all together (no separate A Evals), players will get promoted along the way to Divisions 1, 2 & 3.
- The ‘A’ team coaching staff (Peewee, Bantam & Midget) will have a participating say into the selected players. Their evaluation will be based on the overall needs of the team.
- The RVLA will be progressively selecting its ‘A’ team (Peewee, Bantam & Midget) through-out the 3 evaluation sessions. Following the first evaluation, players who demonstrate advanced skill and capabilities and have previously played at an ‘A’ level in the past season will be selectively promoted. Following the second evaluation, decisions will be made to promote or release players. Following the final evaluation, the evaluation team in consult with the coaching staff will make their final selections. By using a progressive selection process it allows the evaluators to focus on the critical skills and abilities of each player being evaluated.
- All players and parents will be notified of their promotion or release via email. If you do not receive an email following the first or second evaluation, please attend the next scheduled session based on the website posted schedule.
- The final selections for a team can sometimes be a difficult process and we may take the necessary time to discuss and evaluate considerations. Please allow for 48 hours following the final evaluation to be notified.
Each category will be rated from 1 to 5.
1 = Below average abilities in the skill. Requires time, experience and direct training
2 = Average abilities in the skill; requires time, experience and direct training.
4 = Above average abilities in the skill.
5 = Above average abilities in the skill; uses the skill to progress the game.
2) Player Skill Categories:
- Fundamental Skills: Pass, Catch, Shot, Cradle, and Floor Position.
- Offensive abilities
- Defensive abilities
- Overall Game Knowledge
3) Goal Tender Skill Categories:
- Fundamental Skills: Goal Tender Stance, Net positioning, Angles, Movement.
- Saves: Method and Reaction
- Ball Movement: Pass / Catch
- Overall Game Knowledge