For 10U (Novice), 12U (Peewee), 14U (Bantam) & 16U (Midget) evaluations in 2021, we require ALL players to have a black and a white jersey. We offer a reversible black/white pinnie at registration for those that want to purchase one.
This letter is intended to offer insight into the evaluation process and highlight some of the expectations for both players and parents who are participating in the Rocky View Lacrosse Association (RVLA) Evaluation Process.
1) We will once again utilizing an electronic evaluations system. We are using the same platform as last year called “Team Genius”. Last year’s implementation of Team Genius was a great success. This program makes evaluations more efficient, more accurate, more trackable and will hold the RVLA more accountable. I encourage anyone who is curious or who has questions or concerns to watch the Team Genius YouTube video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gTqeyv_yA&feature=youtu.be
2) As part of the evaluation process this year, each player will be given a set of helmet stickers. These stickers are to be placed on each side of the helmet, not the front and back. As the evaluations are conducted over several weeks we will offer new stickers before each evaluation session, so player can remove the stickers after each session if they so desire.
3) In order to keep the evaluation process as fair and transparent as possible, we ask that each player bring a black and a white jersey with no identifiable markings or logos to each evaluation session. Reversible black/white pinnies are available for purchase through RVLA if needed and will be available for purchase at the check-in table during evaluations. Any player coming to evaluations with a non-black or white jersey or a jersey with markings will be asked to leave the floor and purchase a pinnie.
4) The Sr. B Knights organization will once again provide experienced and knowledgeable members to evaluate our players and goaltenders for each tier within Midget, Bantam, Pee Wee and Novice. Each Sr. B Knights evaluator will have an electronic device that will log into the Team Genius evaluation site. The site will only display the player’s number and each evaluator will record marks for selected skills demonstrated by each player in comparison to their peers. Based on the evaluation scores and evaluator comments, the individual teams will be created. Considerations will be made to ensure the team is balanced based on the shooting hand (right handed vs. left handed) of the player and overall needs of the team.
5) This year we will be conducting 4 evaluation sessions and the RVLA will be progressively selecting its ‘A’ team through-out the 4 evaluation sessions. Players who demonstrate advanced skills and capabilities may be selectively promoted. The number of kids promoted and the timing of the promotions will be dependent on a number of factors including: total number of participants in each evaluation grouping and shooting hand of these participants, score differential between players, team requirements etc. There will be no promotions at any level following the first evaluation, some promotions may occur after the second or third evaluation. Following the final evaluation, the evaluation committee will make the final selections. Using a progressive selection process allows the evaluators to focus on the critical skills and abilities of each player being evaluated.
6) Attendance at the evaluation sessions is very important. It allows the evaluators to properly compare players against their peers. We ask that each player attend all the evaluations sessions for which they are asked. Missing an evaluation will not have a punitive effect on the players Team Genius score but when deciding between like players for final spots on a team, preference will be given to players who have a higher attendance during the evaluation period.
7) All players will be notified of their promotion or release via email. If you do not receive an email following the first three evaluations, please attend the next session as posted on the RVLA website. Please allow for 48 hours following the final evaluation to be notified.
1) Each category will be rated from 1 to 10, with 10 being high and 1 being low.
2) Player Skill Categories (some of these categories may be rolled together because of the limited time available for the evaluators):
3) Goaltender Skill Categories:
Shane Viste RVLA Evaluation Director
Brad Foote RVLA Evaluation Director2