For 10U (Novice), 12U (Peewee), 14U (Bantam) & 16U (Midget) evaluations in 2020, we require ALL players to have a black and a white jersey. We offer a reversible black/white pinnie at registration for those that want to purchase one.
This letter is intended to offer insight into the evaluation process and highlight some of the expectations for both players and parents who are participating in the Rocky View Lacrosse Association (RVLA) Evaluation Process.
- This year we will be utilizing an electronic evaluations system. The platform we will be using is called “Team Genius”. This program will make evaluations more efficient, more accurate, more trackable and will hold RVLA more accountable. I encourage anyone who is curious or who has questions or concerns to watch the Team Genius YouTube video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gTqeyv_yA&feature=youtu.be
- As part of the evaluation process this year, each player will be given a set of helmet stickers. These stickers are to be placed on each side of the helmet, not the front and back. These stickers are to be kept on for the entirety of the evaluation process regardless of player movement between groups.
- In order to keep the evaluation process as fair and transparent as possible, we ask that each player bring a black and a white jersey with no identifiable markings or logos to each practice session. Reversible black/white pinnies are available for purchase through RVLA if needed. These pinnies will be available for purchase at the check-in table during evaluations.
- The Sr. B Knights organization will once again provide experienced and knowledgeable members to evaluate our players and goaltenders for each tier within Midget, Bantam, Pee Wee and Novice.
- Each Sr. B Knights evaluator will have an electronic device that will log into the Team Genius evaluation site. The site will only display the player’s number and each evaluator will record marks for selected skills demonstrated by each player in comparison to their peers. Based on the evaluation scores and evaluator comments, the individual teams will be created. Considerations will be made to ensure the team is balanced based on the hand positioning (right handed vs. left handed) of the player and overall needs of the team.
- The RVLA will be progressively selecting its ‘A’ team through-out the 3 evaluation sessions. Following the first evaluation, players who demonstrate advanced skills and capabilities may be selectively promoted. Following the second evaluation, decisions will be made to promote or release players. Following the final evaluation, the evaluation team, in consultation with the coaching staff and division directors will make the final selections. Using a progressive selection process allows the evaluators to focus on the critical skills and abilities of each player being evaluated.
- All players will be notified of their promotion or release via email. If you do not receive an email following the first or second evaluation, please attend the third session based on the schedule posted on the website. Please allow for 48 hours following the final evaluation to be notified.
- Each category will be rated from 1 to 9, with 9 being high and 1 being low.
- Player Skill Categories (some of these categories may be rolled together because of the limited time available for the evaluators):
- Shooting: Shot speed and placement
- Catching and Passing
- Game Knowledge and Awareness: Ability to read a play, implement lacrosse strategy and impact the game.
- Transition: Ability to transition from offence to defense. Do the players know where to position themselves, do they run well with the ball, do they change at the appropriate times?
- Offence: Positional play, ability to get loose balls, appropriate level of aggressiveness in the offensive end of the floor.
- Defense: Positional play, stick work, appropriate level of aggressiveness.
- Goaltender Skill Categories:
- Fundamental Skills: Goaltender stance, net positioning, angles, movement.
- Saves: Method and reaction
- Ball Movement: Pass / Catch
- Overall Game Knowledge